Friday 15 May 2015

NG 595

New game 595 is now available.

The re-run is episode 325; its rounds are here and its writeup is here.


Round 1: I A F E H C S A N

I had CHIEF, CHAFE, CHAFES, CHAINS, FINCHES, and FANCIES / FIANCÉS.

The other sevens are FASCIAE (plural of FASCIA: "a band or fillet") and FASCINE ("a long bundle of sticks bound together [...]").

My selection: FANCIES


Round 2: O E W H P R S T U

I had HOPE, POWER, POWERS, UPHROES (UPHROE being an alternative spelling of EUPHROE, a Dutch nautical term for a piece of word with holes in it for small lines to be drawn through, supporting an awning), SHOUTER / SOUTHER, and POUTERS (POUTER: "to rummage around; poke; stir").

Lamentably, SUPERHOT is not listed.  There is still an eight, though: UPTHROWS (UPTHROW: "an upheaval").  The other sevens are UPTHROW, POWTERS (POWTER being a variant spelling of POUTER), TROUPES / SPOUTER / POSTURE / PETROUS ("like stone in hardness; stony; rocky"), POTHERS (POTHER: "commotion; uproar") / STROPHE ("the part of an ancient Greek choral ode sung by the chorus when moving from right to left") / THORPES (THORPE being an alternative spelling of THORP: "a hamlet, village, or small town"), and HOTSPUR ("an impetuous person; a hothead").

My selection: UPHROES
Best: UPTHROWS


Round 3: Target 151 from 25 100 10 1 7 5

I kept this one simple with 151 = 100 + 5*10 + 1

My selection: 151 = 100 + 5*10 + 1


Round 4: E L R O M D S I E

I had ROLE, MODEL, MODELS, MELODIES, MELODISER (thanks to the recent re-run of episode 306), and REMODELS.

The other eights are MELODISE and MORSELED.  The sevens are REMODEL, MOLDERS / SMOLDER, SOLDIER, OILSEED, MISDOER, MELOIDS (MELOID being another name for a blister beetle), REMISED (REMISE: "Law to give up a claim to; surrender by deed"), RESILED (RESILE: "to spring back; rebound; resume the original form or position, as an elastic body"), RESOLED, MILORDS, MOILERS (MOILER is the agent noun derived from MOIL: "to work hard; toil; drudge"), and MOLDIER*.

My selection: MELODISER


Round 5: L O R O C L K Z E

I had COLOR, CROOK, COOLER, COOKER, and LOCKER.

Six is the best to be done here, with the other one being LOOKER.

My selection: LOCKER


Round 6: Target 935 from 50 100 25 9 4 9

I wrote down the one off 936 = 9*(100 + 4), and was unable to adjust it to the target.  Fortunately, one of the approaches I considered was to work down from 981, and the offset of 46 was handily formable: 935 = 9*(100 + 9) - 50 + 4.

There's three other solutions, but I'll just mention the one which uses the standard method: 935 = 9*100 + 25 + 50/(9 - 4).  It can be hard to see the option of dividing a large number by a small one, but occasionally rewarding.

My selection: 935 = 9*(100 + 9) - 50 + 4


Round 7: I A T T I D T M E

I had ADIT, ADMIT, MATTED, and IMITATED.

IMITATED is the only eight.  The only seven is IMITATE, and the other six is TATTED.

My selection: IMITATED


Round 8: Target 336 from 25 75 100 6 5 7

I recognised the target as 6*7*8, and it was a happily short step from that to 336 = 6*7*(5 + 75/25).  Then I considered working down from 375 and found another solution of 336 = 5*(75 - 7) - 100/25.

My selection: 336 = 6*7*(5 + 75/25)


Round 9: DUE UPROOT

The useful fragments of OUT- and -ED soon got me to the answer of OUTPOURED.

My selection: OUTPOURED (3.0s)


5 comments:

Mike Backhouse said...

CHAINS
POWERS
Geoff's way
SMILED (great full monty Geoff)
LOCKER
MATTED and saw IMITATED just out of time (Grrr...)
7*(75-25)-5-6=339 (3 off)
x

Sam G said...

Missed IMITATED, otherwise similar answers to Geoff.

Mike, where's your 935 answer?

1. FANCIES
2. POSTURE. I think I rejected UPTHROWS.
3. 151 = (25+7)*5 - 10 + 1
4. MELODISER. Didn't see the Episode 306 rerun, though would have seen it first time.
5. COOLER
6. 935 = (100+9)*9 + 4 - 50
7. MATTED
8. 336 = 6*7*(5+75/25)
9. OUTPOURED - 1.2s

Geoff Bailey said...

Strong game as ever, Sam. And thanks, Mike!

Mike Backhouse said...

Sam, oops- transcription error. For 935, I had Geoff's answer of 9*(100+4)=936 (1 off). Your answer was awesome!

Sam G said...

Cheers, Mike. Doing a lot of four-large puzzles gets one used to seeing an answer off by a multiple of 25.